Welcome to our new school website. We invite you to browse through our school’s activities, curriculum, photos and policies to get a sense of who the school community at St Mary’s CBS really are. This website is in its early stages and we hope you will watch it grow, as our school does, year on year.
Here, in St Mary’s, we have a long and vibrant link with Portlaoise town, the surrounding townlands and in particular, with our original school in Tower Hill. For those interested in our history, the original corner stones of the Tower Hill school, which were removed in 2010, are now part of our school entrance in the Borris Road.
In 2010, we opened the doors of the Borris Road site with 500 students. Since then we have steadily grown to nearly 800 students in September 2015 and seem set to continue growing, although at a slower pace in the future. Our facilities, which include the impressive Rice Nagle Sports Facility, several soccer, GAA and basketball hard courts, are among the best in the country and our students and staff enjoy state of the art facilities in which to learn and work within our new school building.
However a school facility merely provides a venue in which to provide the opportunities our students deserve in which to grow, gain experience and skills to leave our school with. We have shown over the years that our students are cared for as individuals. True to the Edmund Rice tradition, which underpins all our policies and curricula, we endeavour to
- Provide excellent teaching and learning,
- Promote partnership with the wider school community,
- Create a caring school community
- Nurture faith, Christian spirituality and Gospel-based values
- Provide leadership opportunities for students and staff alike
I hope you will enjoy browsing this website and learning about life in St Mary’s CBS.
- 4th Amber Flag April 26, 2017 Well done to Ms. Buckley and the Amber Flag Team who have earned their 4th Amber Flag. There will be a Flag Raising Ceremony on Friday 12th May at 9.40. Well done to all involved. Read more
- Good Luck to the U19 Soccer Team April 26, 2017 Good luck to the U 19 Soccer Team and their trainer Ms. Hyland who are playing their Semi Final today, 26th April. Read more
- TY Class Size April 26, 2017 The TY class size has been increased to 90 students for the 2017-18 school year. Students will receive their offer letters in the post by Thursday. Read more
- Laois Today Article – Zambia Immersion Project April 10, 2017 http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/03/16/watch-portlaoise-cbs-students-release-epic-zambia-trip-video/ Read more
- Congratulations Thomás Dunne April 10, 2017 Congratulations to third year student and scriptwriter Thomás Dunne for being shortlisted in the Best Short Scene Script category of the national Bord Gais Energy Student Theatre Awards. Thomás and his teacher Ms Quinlan have been invited to attend a prestigious ... Read more
- Laois Schools Athletics Championships April 7, 2017 50 students from CBS competed with distinction in the Laois Schools Athletics Track and Field Championships in St.Abbans on Wednesday 5th of April. Over 40 medals were brought home between the students with a CBS team on the podium in all ... Read more
- Subject Options For 5th Year 2017-18 April 7, 2017 Good morning to all our students and parents for whom going into 5th Year for 2017-18 is relevant. Thank you for attending our Parents Information Night on Wednesday 5th April and we hope you are now in a good position to ... Read more
- Information Night – Subject Choices for 5th years TONIGHT April 5, 2017 A Parents’ Information Evening, which will also include information about LCVP will be held tonight, Wednesday April 5th, in the school at 7.30pm. All welcome. This is an important event to attend. The Subject Choices for 5th years, which involves the ... Read more
- Video- UNZIPPED St. Mary’s CBS 2017 April 4, 2017 Well done to all the students and staff involved in this wonderful project! Read more
- Positive Mental Health Week 2017 March 28, 2017 Congratulations to Ms Buckley and the Amber Flag team for hosting an excellent Positive Mental Health week earlier in the month. €851 was raised for such a great mental health service in our local parish church. Pictures from the amazing ... Read more
View All News