Welcome to our new school website. We invite you to browse through our school’s activities, curriculum, photos and policies to get a sense of who the school community at St Mary’s CBS really are. This website is in its early stages and we hope you will watch it grow, as our school does, year on year.
Here, in St Mary’s, we have a long and vibrant link with Portlaoise town, the surrounding townlands and in particular, with our original school in Tower Hill. For those interested in our history, the original corner stones of the Tower Hill school, which were removed in 2010, are now part of our school entrance in the Borris Road.
In 2010, we opened the doors of the Borris Road site with 500 students. Since then we have steadily grown to nearly 800 students in September 2015 and seem set to continue growing, although at a slower pace in the future. Our facilities, which include the impressive Rice Nagle Sports Facility, several soccer, GAA and basketball hard courts, are among the best in the country and our students and staff enjoy state of the art facilities in which to learn and work within our new school building.
However a school facility merely provides a venue in which to provide the opportunities our students deserve in which to grow, gain experience and skills to leave our school with. We have shown over the years that our students are cared for as individuals. True to the Edmund Rice tradition, which underpins all our policies and curricula, we endeavour to
- Provide excellent teaching and learning,
- Promote partnership with the wider school community,
- Create a caring school community
- Nurture faith, Christian spirituality and Gospel-based values
- Provide leadership opportunities for students and staff alike
I hope you will enjoy browsing this website and learning about life in St Mary’s CBS.
- Basketball Fundraiser May 18, 2017 There is a basketball blitz this Thursday 18th for 4-6pm. 5 Euro per player. This is a fundraiser for Rian O’Connell and Dylan Phelan who are travelling to Wales to make their 1st cap for Ireland. This is a fun ... Read more
- Summer Exam Timetable May 12, 2017 Click here for the Summer Exam Timetable. Read more
- TY Microsoft Office Specialist National Finalists May 10, 2017 All Ireland Microsoft Office Specialist Finals – 2 TY students competing today. Well done to Eoin Keenan and Daniel Pudlesnick, both TY students, who are taking part today in the National Microsoft Finals in Powerpoint and Word in Dublin. Also well ... Read more
- Staff Meeting Wednesday May 17th May 8, 2017 In order to allow planning for Sept 2017, we are having an all day Staff Meeting on Wednesday 17th May from 9am-4pm. Therefore, there will be no school on that day. We apologise for any inconvenience. Read more
- South Leinster Schools Athletics Competition May 5, 2017 CBS Portlaoise were well represented in the South Leinster schools in Waterford, taking away plenty of medals. Kevin O won the junior boys 100m in style! Thomas Dunne, Malick Stobowale, Darragh Corcoran and Busola Dare won bronze in u-16 4*300 relay, Silver in ... Read more
- 4th Amber Flag April 26, 2017 Well done to Ms. Buckley and the Amber Flag Team who have earned their 4th Amber Flag. There will be a Flag Raising Ceremony on Friday 12th May at 9.40. Well done to all involved. Read more
- Good Luck to the U19 Soccer Team April 26, 2017 Good luck to the U 19 Soccer Team and their trainer Ms. Hyland who are playing their Semi Final today, 26th April. Read more
- TY Class Size April 26, 2017 The TY class size has been increased to 90 students for the 2017-18 school year. Students will receive their offer letters in the post by Thursday. Read more
- Laois Today Article – Zambia Immersion Project April 10, 2017 http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/03/16/watch-portlaoise-cbs-students-release-epic-zambia-trip-video/ Read more
- Congratulations Thomás Dunne April 10, 2017 Congratulations to third year student and scriptwriter Thomás Dunne for being shortlisted in the Best Short Scene Script category of the national Bord Gais Energy Student Theatre Awards. Thomás and his teacher Ms Quinlan have been invited to attend a prestigious ... Read more
View All News