Welcome to our new school website. We invite you to browse through our school’s activities, curriculum, photos and policies to get a sense of who the school community at St Mary’s CBS really are. This website is in its early stages and we hope you will watch it grow, as our school does, year on year.
Here, in St Mary’s, we have a long and vibrant link with Portlaoise town, the surrounding townlands and in particular, with our original school in Tower Hill. For those interested in our history, the original corner stones of the Tower Hill school, which were removed in 2010, are now part of our school entrance in the Borris Road.
In 2010, we opened the doors of the Borris Road site with 500 students. Since then we have steadily grown to nearly 800 students in September 2015 and seem set to continue growing, although at a slower pace in the future. Our facilities, which include the impressive Rice Nagle Sports Facility, several soccer, GAA and basketball hard courts, are among the best in the country and our students and staff enjoy state of the art facilities in which to learn and work within our new school building.
However a school facility merely provides a venue in which to provide the opportunities our students deserve in which to grow, gain experience and skills to leave our school with. We have shown over the years that our students are cared for as individuals. True to the Edmund Rice tradition, which underpins all our policies and curricula, we endeavour to
- Provide excellent teaching and learning,
- Promote partnership with the wider school community,
- Create a caring school community
- Nurture faith, Christian spirituality and Gospel-based values
- Provide leadership opportunities for students and staff alike
I hope you will enjoy browsing this website and learning about life in St Mary’s CBS.
- Download 2018-19 First Year Application Form September 21, 2017 Application Form 1st Yr 2018-2019 final one (1) Read more
- Admissions Policy 2018-19 (revised) September 20, 2017 Please download a copy of the 2018-19 Admissions Policy. We are pleased to announce that this year we are expanding our feeder school area beyond the Parish of Portlaoise, Rathineska and the Heath. Admissions Policy 2018-19. revised 22Aug.17 Read more
- Applications for 2018-19 First Years September 20, 2017 Application Forms are now available in all the Parish of Portlaoise, Rathineska and the Heath Primary Schools. They have also been dropped out to Stradbally, Timahoe, Emo, The Rock and Killenard (by Friday). Application Forms are available to download ... Read more
- School’s Annual Mass September 13, 2017 Our school’s Annual Mass took place in St Peter & Paul’s Church on Thursday 7th September. Much preparation went into this occasion and it was carried off beautifully by all the students. In particular, we would like to acknowledge the ... Read more
- Well done to the Meitheal and Treoiri lads… September 13, 2017 who have been working hard with the junior classes to help their transition into secondary a happy experience. In particular, the 1st years have been keeping Meitheal busy with lockers, locks, directions, questions and of course, soccer leagues! Their ... Read more
- Parent’s Council AGM September 13, 2017 This year’s Parent’s Council AGM will be held in the school on Wednesday the 11th October at 7.30 pm. We hope that more parents will become involved in the Parent’s Council this coming school year. See you on the nite! Read more
- Study Skills for 3rd & 6th Years during week Sept 18-21 September 13, 2017 Michael Bond, who did the Study Skills here last spring, is back again to work with our two Exam Classes this year. Please send €8 into school by Monday next to cover the cost of these 2 hour workshops. ... Read more
- New Apple iOS 11 Update for iPads September 13, 2017 Apple have informed us that this software update is not necessary for student devices and they recommend that students DO NOT update it at this time. Read more
- Booklists for all years July 11, 2017 If,for some reason, you do not have your copy of your son’s booklist, please click to download the required year…2017-18 TY Booklist2017-18 6th Year Booklist2017-18 5th Year Booklist2017-18 1st Year Booklist2017-18 2nd Year Booklist2017-18 3rd Year Booklist Read more
- Incoming First Year Parents July 10, 2017 For all parents of incoming first year parents, there will be an Information Evening on Wednesday 23rd August at 7pm. It is an information time for parents, and we would appreciate, if you could, please do not bring children or ... Read more