Welcome to our new school website. We invite you to browse through our school’s activities, curriculum, photos and policies to get a sense of who the school community at St Mary’s CBS really are. This website is in its early stages and we hope you will watch it grow, as our school does, year on year.
Here, in St Mary’s, we have a long and vibrant link with Portlaoise town, the surrounding townlands and in particular, with our original school in Tower Hill. For those interested in our history, the original corner stones of the Tower Hill school, which were removed in 2010, are now part of our school entrance in the Borris Road.
In 2010, we opened the doors of the Borris Road site with 500 students. Since then we have steadily grown to nearly 800 students in September 2015 and seem set to continue growing, although at a slower pace in the future. Our facilities, which include the impressive Rice Nagle Sports Facility, several soccer, GAA and basketball hard courts, are among the best in the country and our students and staff enjoy state of the art facilities in which to learn and work within our new school building.
However a school facility merely provides a venue in which to provide the opportunities our students deserve in which to grow, gain experience and skills to leave our school with. We have shown over the years that our students are cared for as individuals. True to the Edmund Rice tradition, which underpins all our policies and curricula, we endeavour to
- Provide excellent teaching and learning,
- Promote partnership with the wider school community,
- Create a caring school community
- Nurture faith, Christian spirituality and Gospel-based values
- Provide leadership opportunities for students and staff alike
I hope you will enjoy browsing this website and learning about life in St Mary’s CBS.
- iPad Programme for incoming First Years 2017 June 18, 2017 Wriggle is the school’s partner for our iPad programme and has been introduced to you during the information evenings. The Wriggle Online Store is now open. To access it please visit www.wriggle.ie, click the orange box ‘order online’, and enter the ... Read more
- Office Closure June 16, 2017 The office will be closed from Friday, June 23rd, at 1.15pm. It will re-open at 9am on Monday, August 14th. Read more
- Unzipped 2017 Video & Article June 8, 2017 https://vimeo.com/220776669 Zambia Immersion Project 2017 By: Rian O’Connell On the 11th of February 2017, sixteen students and five teachers left Ireland to begin their trip to Zambia. A sixteen-hour flight was on the books as well as an eight-hour public bus journey ... Read more
- Teaching Job Application Available to Download May 31, 2017 teacher job application june2017 Read more
- Laois Student Leadership Showcase May 31, 2017 Congratulations to our Treori, Student Council and Amber Flag team who competed in the first Laois Student Leadership Showcase in Portlaoise College recently. The standard of competition on the day was very high, and our own Treori managed to win ... Read more
- Texaco Children’s Art Competition May 31, 2017 Congratulations to Ciaran Leonard in first year who won second place in this years Texaco Children’s Art Competition. Ciaran is pictured below with his winning portrait in the Hugh Lane Gallery in Dublin. Read more
- Scifest Regional Final May 31, 2017 Following on from the SciFest School competition, 27 students from 2nd year and TY represented St Mary’s CBS in the SciFest regional final in Carlow. The ten projects investigated topics such as which hurl and sliothar give the longest puck, ... Read more
- Eoin Keenan: All Ireland Schools High Jump May 31, 2017 Best of luck to Eoin Keenan in the All Ireland Schools High Jump at the weekend! Read more
- Basketball Fundraiser May 18, 2017 There is a basketball blitz this Thursday 18th for 4-6pm. 5 Euro per player. This is a fundraiser for Rian O’Connell and Dylan Phelan who are travelling to Wales to make their 1st cap for Ireland. This is a fun ... Read more
- Summer Exam Timetable May 12, 2017 Click here for the Summer Exam Timetable. Read more
View All News