Welcome to our new school website. We invite you to browse through our school’s activities, curriculum, photos and policies to get a sense of who the school community at St Mary’s CBS really are. This website is in its early stages and we hope you will watch it grow, as our school does, year on year.
Here, in St Mary’s, we have a long and vibrant link with Portlaoise town, the surrounding townlands and in particular, with our original school in Tower Hill. For those interested in our history, the original corner stones of the Tower Hill school, which were removed in 2010, are now part of our school entrance in the Borris Road.
In 2010, we opened the doors of the Borris Road site with 500 students. Since then we have steadily grown to nearly 800 students in September 2015 and seem set to continue growing, although at a slower pace in the future. Our facilities, which include the impressive Rice Nagle Sports Facility, several soccer, GAA and basketball hard courts, are among the best in the country and our students and staff enjoy state of the art facilities in which to learn and work within our new school building.
However a school facility merely provides a venue in which to provide the opportunities our students deserve in which to grow, gain experience and skills to leave our school with. We have shown over the years that our students are cared for as individuals. True to the Edmund Rice tradition, which underpins all our policies and curricula, we endeavour to
- Provide excellent teaching and learning,
- Promote partnership with the wider school community,
- Create a caring school community
- Nurture faith, Christian spirituality and Gospel-based values
- Provide leadership opportunities for students and staff alike
I hope you will enjoy browsing this website and learning about life in St Mary’s CBS.
- Bogathon Pictures March 20, 2017 Read more
- New Deputy Principal Job Description for Download March 7, 2017 Deputy Principal Job Description Read more
- New Deputy Principal Application Form for Download March 7, 2017 New DP 2017 standard application formDeputy Principal Job Description Read more
- Advanced Medical Service – Cardiac Screening March 3, 2017 Advanced Medical Services (AMEDS) are coming to our school on March 14th and 15th to perform a doctor led Cardiac Screening Service. This is screening for a cardiac abnormality which could lead to Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS). Both the ... Read more
- Information Night – Subject Choices for 5th years March 3, 2017 The Subject Choices for 5th years, which involves the 3rd years who are not doing TY along with the current TY class, will begin during the week of April 3rd. Teachers of the option subjects will speak to the students. ... Read more
- Transition Year Selection Process March 3, 2017 The Transition Year Selection Process will begin in the week of March 20th. • The students will have an in school talk from Ms Carroll, Ms Gillson and current TY students • Parents will also receive a similar Information Evening on Thursday ... Read more
- 2nd & 5th Year Parent Teacher Meetings March 3, 2017 A reminder to parents that the Parent Teacher meetings for 2nd and 5th years will be on Thursday the 23rd March. • All students will remain at home that day. • The Fifth Years will be from 9-11 and 11.15-12.45. • Lunch will ... Read more
- Scifest February 8, 2017 Well done to all the 2nd year and TY students for their participation in Scifest last Thursday. Big congratulations to the 10 groups that qualified for the regional finals in Carlow IT on April 27th. See all the photogrphs in ... Read more
- After School Study January 26, 2017 3 Fridays (between now and Mock exams) starting at 1.30. Lunch break is 1.30-1.45 in Study Hall, and then study until 4.30. You can sign up with Mr. Mulligan or Mr. White. Midterm Study : 3 days 9.00-1.00 Easter Study: 4 days of ... Read more
- Mock Timetables- 3rd & 6th January 24, 2017 Less than two weeks until our 2017 mocks begin. They will commence Monday, February 6th and run until Friday, February 17th. Click here to view the 3rd year mock timetable. Click here to view the 6th year mock timetable. Read more
View All News