Welcome to our new school website. We invite you to browse through our school’s activities, curriculum, photos and policies to get a sense of who the school community at St Mary’s CBS really are. This website is in its early stages and we hope you will watch it grow, as our school does, year on year.
Here, in St Mary’s, we have a long and vibrant link with Portlaoise town, the surrounding townlands and in particular, with our original school in Tower Hill. For those interested in our history, the original corner stones of the Tower Hill school, which were removed in 2010, are now part of our school entrance in the Borris Road.
In 2010, we opened the doors of the Borris Road site with 500 students. Since then we have steadily grown to nearly 800 students in September 2015 and seem set to continue growing, although at a slower pace in the future. Our facilities, which include the impressive Rice Nagle Sports Facility, several soccer, GAA and basketball hard courts, are among the best in the country and our students and staff enjoy state of the art facilities in which to learn and work within our new school building.
However a school facility merely provides a venue in which to provide the opportunities our students deserve in which to grow, gain experience and skills to leave our school with. We have shown over the years that our students are cared for as individuals. True to the Edmund Rice tradition, which underpins all our policies and curricula, we endeavour to
- Provide excellent teaching and learning,
- Promote partnership with the wider school community,
- Create a caring school community
- Nurture faith, Christian spirituality and Gospel-based values
- Provide leadership opportunities for students and staff alike
I hope you will enjoy browsing this website and learning about life in St Mary’s CBS.
- Incoming First Years for September 2018 October 12, 2017 All parents who wish to send their son to St Mary’s CBS Portlaoise should submit their completed application by tomorrow, Friday 13th. They will be offered a place for September 2018 by Friday 10th November and must accept in writing ... Read more
- Robert Sheehan visits the CBS TY’S October 3, 2017 On Thursday 28th September, Robert Sheehan visited our TY’s in school. There were plenty of photos and questions and Robert patiently and good humouredly answered all questions put to him, from how he does love scenes to ‘Love Hate’ ... Read more
- TY Visit Waterford Walls October 3, 2017 The TY’s visited Waterford to see the amazing graffiti walls which have become a tourist attraction of a novel kind. Read more
- Healthy Lifestyle Programme for TY’s October 2, 2017 The TY’s will be doing a two day Healthy Lifestyle Programme this Mon and Tue 2-3 October. Read more
- Book In The Bag Resumes on October 9th October 2, 2017 The Book in the Bag Scheme will begin again from next Monday, October 9th. This year it will run as follows: 1. For 1st, 2nd and 3rd years only. 2. From 9 am until 9.15 Monday to Friday for that week. It will ... Read more
- Upcoming Events For Parents this week… October 2, 2017 This Year’s Open Night for next year’s First Years will be held this Wednesday evening from 6.00 until 9.00pm. The 1st Year Coffee Morning is this Thursday, October 5th, at 10am in LR1. The 6th Year Parent Teacher Meeting is on next ... Read more
- Download 2018-19 First Year Application Form September 21, 2017 Application Form 1st Yr 2018-2019 final one (1) Read more
- Admissions Policy 2018-19 (revised) September 20, 2017 Please download a copy of the 2018-19 Admissions Policy. We are pleased to announce that this year we are expanding our feeder school area beyond the Parish of Portlaoise, Rathineska and the Heath. Admissions Policy 2018-19. revised 22Aug.17 Read more
- Applications for 2018-19 First Years September 20, 2017 Application Forms are now available in all the Parish of Portlaoise, Rathineska and the Heath Primary Schools. They have also been dropped out to Stradbally, Timahoe, Emo, The Rock and Killenard (by Friday). Application Forms are available to download ... Read more
- School’s Annual Mass September 13, 2017 Our school’s Annual Mass took place in St Peter & Paul’s Church on Thursday 7th September. Much preparation went into this occasion and it was carried off beautifully by all the students. In particular, we would like to acknowledge the ... Read more